William Black Sr. founder of The Black Brothers Machinery Company.
The five Black brothers immigrate to America and re-establish their business in Chicago, Illinois.
The Black brothers invent a Molding Sander to replace the tedious hand sanding required by the ornate wood moldings of that era. This machine was patented and became one of The Black Brothers Machinery Company’s first machines sold into the developing American woodworking industry.
Photo of The Black Brothers Machinery Co. Employees at the turn of the century.
The Black brothers move their ambitious machinery business to Mendota, Illinois because of its central location to the growing concentration of furniture and woodworking factories in Illinois, Wisconsin & Michigan.
The Black Brothers Machinery Company invent a Veneer Taping Machine, replacing slow hand gluing and taping, allowing manufacturers to dramatically increase veneer production. Also shown, The Black Brothers Machinery Co. factory after addition in 1907.
The first revolving “Clamp Holding Machine” is introduced to hold edge-glued and face-glued stock until cured. This was the forerunner of today’s Clamp Carrier machines and hailed as a labor and space saving design.
The Black Brothers Machinery Company is reorganized. The company’s name is changed to Black Bros. Manufacturing Co., with Walter Black remaining as President. John E. and Robert S. Black join the company after being discharged from the Army after World War I.
Electric Veneer Press is designed, enabling the production of higher quality furniture veneers.
Black Bros. purchases the Towsley Glue Spreader/Glue Heater line. Employment reaches 50 associates.
The crash of 1929 hits, followed by eight years of economic depression. As with most other companies, Black Bros. suffers — but survives.
Walter Black Sr. dies and is succeeded as President by John E. Black.
The original 22D Glue Spreader for applying synthetic resin glue is introduced. This revolutionary Spreader incorporated an entirely new type of synthetic rubber applicator roller that could be grooved to achieve specific spread rates; a significant advance over the old metal applicator rolls. Business conditions start to improve, with employment back up to 35 associates.
With the advent of World War II, Black Bros. supply Laminating Machines to produce mine sweepers, aircraft, and other products crucial to the war effort.
Under the Marshall Plan, Black Bros. exports many machines throughout Asia and Europe to help rebuild war-torn countries.
John E. Black dies and is succeeded as President by Robert S. Black.
The Black Bros. Air Platen Press is introduced.
Upon the death of Robert S. Black (1892-1957), James S. Carroll becomes President of the company, representing the 4th generation of family ownership.
Black Bros. designs and manufactures the first Panel Cleaning Machine.
Black Bros. Mendota opens its Customer Service Laboratory. This enables customers to test their products and coatings in a simulated production set-up.
Black Bros. first Divisional Service Center opens in High Point, North Carolina.
Karl Brunner retires after 52 years of service. Karl was closely involved in the design of the 22D. He was an ingenious man in the development of many Black Bros. machines.
Black Bros. celebrates 100 years of operation.
Black Bros. acquires Power Pod Press Line.
The Direct Differential Roll Coater is introduced for applying very precise amounts of coatings to a variety of substrates.
The 775 Glue Spreader is introduced.
With the advent of hot melt adhesive technologies, Black Bros. designs and introduces a 775 Hot Melt Adhesive Spreader.
Matthew Black Carroll (the 5th generation of family ownership) becomes President. James S. Carroll remains Chairman of the Board.
Black Bros. designs and manufactures its first Heated Single Opening Platen Press.
Black Bros. acquires certain assets of the Monco Corporation and with it redesigns the TB60 Hot Roll Laminator.
With customers wanting more automation in their Laminating Lines, Black Bros. designs and produces the Laminate Indexing Station and introduces it at the International Woodworking Fair. (IWF in Atlanta, Georgia)
Black Bros. completes its 42,000 ft2 (3901 m2) building addition in Mendota, Illinois. This much needed addition enables Black Bros. to better meet customer demands.
Black Bros introduces the Panel Express heat assisted rotary laminator. A response to emerging adhesive technology, the machine allows panels to move directly from the laminator to other machining operations.
Black Bros. Co. introduces a new line of Coil Coating Machinery.
The largest Roll Coater in the history of Black Bros. Co. is designed and built.
Black Bros. Associates achieve an all-time high Safety Record. Black Bros. Co. Associates celebrated at a Chicago White Sox game in July 2006, recognizing over 600 accident-free work days at the company.
Black Bros. designs new Vertical Coil Coating Line.
Senator Gary Dahl visits Black Bros. Co.
Black Bros. introduces new Compact Lubricant Coater.
Black Bros. Co. celebrates its 125th anniversary in operation. Matt Carroll, President and CEO of Black Bros. Co., and Ryne Sandberg, Manager of the Peoria Chiefs, enjoy an evening at a Peoria Chiefs Baseball Game in Peoria, Illinois, to commemorate the event.
Black Bros. Co. acquires Almex 3-D Press Line from Shaw-Almex Industries of Burlington, Ontario, Canada.
James S. Carroll passes away on February 23, 2014.
Jim joined Black Bros. in 1948 after serving as a Naval Aviator in World War II and then getting his Engineering Degree from the University of Wisconsin. Jim led the company for over 45 years. During his term as President & CEO, the company experienced rapid growth and prosperity for its many team members. Jim was well known and deeply respected throughout the Community of Mendota and the many industries Black Bros. Co. has served over the years.
Black Bros. Co. purchases the distribution rights for Rapha Membranes from KKA Enterpnses of McDougall, Ontario, Canada.